We wanted to inform you that we are aware that the weather forecast shows heavy rain on Saturday, and we are monitoring the situation for any changes. We would like to emphasize that your safety is of the utmost importance to us, and we will make our decision with participants’ safety as our top priority.
We are in close communication with the police to ensure the race goes on in a safe and efficient manner. We will have the race if there is rain, but in the unlikely event that there are hazardous conditions (lightning, flooding, etc.), we will be forced to cancel the race.
Our inclement weather policy is as follows:
By 9 p.m. on Friday, October 2, we will post on this website the first update regarding the status of the race. If at this point we still feel comfortable that the race can happen, we will provide a second, follow-up update by 6 a.m. on Saturday, October 3 (race day).
If the race is postponed on race day, the latest possible start time will be 11 a.m. If there are hazardous conditions after this point in time, we reserve the right to cancel the race without refunds; however, we are currently planning emergency, alternative programming that would be consistent with the educational emphasis of the race. We invite all runners to participate in this event.
Finally, in order to increase convenience, we will have an additional packet pickup this evening at the Chick-Fil-A at University Place from 5:30-7:30 p.m. for runners who cannot make the primary packet pickup on Friday at Pi Beta Phi (109 Hillsborough Street, Chapel Hill) from 5:00-8:00 p.m.. Hopefully the weather will hold, and we will be able to start the race as scheduled! Please contact us if you have any questions or concerns.
Thank you so much for understanding, and we apologize for any inconvenience.
In the Carolina Way,
Maddie Felton Parker Yount
Pi Beta Phi Phi Delta Theta